Update: 27th June 2014

The registry hack stopped working for me for some reason, possibly after I installed VS2013 Update 2. In the little movie world in my head (where I have a speaking part and an end credit instead of being a CG head in a crowd, or possibly a Class 5 droid) there's a minor war going on between me and the Microsoft guys who wrote this oddly insistent Source Control Provider. I found a way to disable it; they found a way to re-enable it. So I've escalated my efforts. Screw those guys.

You can now install my first ever published Visual Studio extension, NoGit, from the Extensions dialog in Visual Studio, or download it from the Visual Studio Gallery. Every time you load a Solution, it checks to see if the current Source Control Provider is Microsoft's Git provider, and if it is, it deactivates it.

The original text of this post has been preserved for historical context.
This has been driving me nuts. I don’t know what particular combination of things contributes to it, but the Git source control provider that’s built into Visual Studio 2013 just hangs the whole system. I change it to “None” in Tools/Options, but every now and then it comes back. I never, ever use it – CLI all the way – so its very existence was offending me to the core.

Now, I think I’ve found out how to kill it, via that old nasty-hack-atron, regedit.exe.

<DISCLAIMER>

If you do this and it kills Visual Studio, or Windows, or your PC, or a kitten, I will not accept responsibility. I hate the VS Git plug-in enough to take this chance, but it is a chance. It seems to have worked for now, but your mileage may vary.

</DISCLAIMER>

Note: I have Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Edition. It is possible that some of these keys may be different for other editions.

Right, close all instances of VS2013, open up regedit and navigate to the following entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
|-Software
|-|-Microsoft
|-|-|-VisualStudio
|-|-|-|-12.0_Config
|-|-|-|-|-SourceControlProviders

There should be three keys below that node (unless you’ve installed other providers, I guess, you dirty Subversion user, you). On my machine, the Git provider had this GUID:

{11B8E6D7-C08B-4385-B321-321078CDD1F8}

I’m guessing that’ll be the same on yours, but click on it and check the value of the (Default) key within it. Should be GitSccProvider. If it’s not, find the one that is.

Got it?

Good. Now delete that whole node.

Now, just for good measure, go back up to the root of the regedit tree and do a search on that GUID – I left off the braces. You should find it in a couple more places: an “AutoloadPackages” node and also in the HKEY_USERS section. Delete all of them.

Eventually, the only place you’ll find it is in a section which seems to hold the last thing you looked at in regedit, which is deliciously recursive.

Here’s a shot of my Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate Edition Source Control options after I did this:

image

If it comes back again, I’ll delete this post. And probably become a hipster Hack programmer using Vim on a Linux box (with dual-boot to Windows for the sole purpose of playing Titanfall).